This is a BONUS EPISODE to mark the end of Season Two, where we spent some time speaking with industry veteran Terry Sargeant, the new CEO of SteelBuy and the current Chairman and CEO of ThyssenKrupp UK PLC.
We’ve spoken with a number of e-commerce platforms since we started the podcast, and Terry gave us some great insight into the why, how and future plans for this website. With finance in place, a clear plan and a small but growing team, it will be interesting to see how this platform performs in the coming months and years.
The SteelBuy website makes the following statement about the business:
“SteelBuy is an easy-to-use online marketplace that instantly connects buyers and sellers to trade quickly and anonymously, without compromising on quality.
“Buy and sell from anywhere, at any time!”
The website goes live on the 2nd of December 2022 and will be officially unveiled at the ISTA Annual Luncheon on that same day.
Amongst other things, we talk about:
- Why now?
- Initial funding and the feasibility study
- Compliance, anti-corruption and anti-trust
- ThyssenKrupp and its involvement
- £22 million for the UK and more to come for Europe and the USA
- Products at launch, and the next steps
- Anonymity for buyers
- How the site works
- Payments, terms and conditions and credit
- Who can sell on the platform, and vetting suppliers
- Human vs Digital interactions
- Growth Strategy and a multinational, gender-diverse team
- If the platform is really a win-win for suppliers and buyers
This podcast was recorded on November 29th 2022
To find out more about SteelBuy, check out the links below: